I was recently interviewed by the lovely romance author, Maddison Michaels, about my journey to becoming a published author – http://maddisonmichaels.com/interview-with-joanne-dannon/
Although this is included in the interview, here are my top 10 tips for aspiring authors –
- Know that it’s not easy to write a book.
- Surround yourself with people who support you and want you to achieve (family and friends).
- Find your tribe! Spend time with like-minded artists like yourself.
- Keep writing.
- Remind yourself that overnight sensations take years of hard work to accomplish.
- Write what you love. Don’t write to market.
- Don’t let rejections stop you from writing.
- Learn your craft. Read “how-to” books, go to workshops and conferences.
- Find a writing partner or group who supports you, and wants you to do well.
- Read! As Stephen King says, “If you don’t have the time to read, you don’t have the time or the tools to write.”
- Every author’s road to publication is different. Don’t compare yourself with others.
- Keep writing (purposely added a second time).