Last night I had the opportunity to listen to the sensational Jules Brook from HandleyourownPR.com.au talk about generating free publicity for your small business.
With years of experience and an amazing can-do approach, Jules is the go-to person if you want to know why small business should have PR.
PR or publicity is someone else saying how good you/ your business/ your product is. It’s more believable as someone else is endorsing you (rather than you/an ad), on TV, the radio, in magazines, newspapers, bloggers etc…
You can get free PR by offering a story to a journalist for them to publish. The upside is that it’s free (!!) but the downside is that you can’t control how the end story will read.
My 5 top tips for DIY publicity –
- You need to be able to write well and have a likeable/approachable phone manner.
- Your website must be live and up to date.
- You should have professional photos of yourself and your product/service.
- Be polite and professional with journalists/ editors and never forget to say thanks if they promote you.
- Have a great angle e.g. a short person running a tall person’s clothing shop.
And if the thought of DIY publicity is too scary or overwhelming, then get help from the professionals!!
Thanks Jules for an interesting and riveting presentation.